AiM devices can measure the displacement between two points using a sensor (linear potentiometer) directly connected to the points of measure. This potentiometer can be used to measure linear displacements like:
- suspensions and spring cushions compression or extension
- steering column rotation measured through the rack displacement
The car/bike linear potentiometer has been designed to measure the displacement between two reference points: a fixed point and a mobile one.
When installing the sensor:
- be very careful avoiding possible bending of the internal cylinder; these bendings, occurring when over tightening the screws or in case of incorrect mounting, can seriously damage the sensor
- extract the internal cylinder for about 5 mm (0.2 inches) from the sensor lower boundary position.
The car/bike linear potentiometer can be connected to any analog channel of MXL, EVO4 and Channel Expansion, to say:
- MXL Strada/Pista: channels from 1 to 8
- MXL Pro05: channels from 1 to 12
- EVO4: channels from 1 to 5
- Channel Expansion: channels from 1 to 4
The potentiometer ends with a 4 pins Binder 719 male connector. The image below shows the connector from solder termination side.
The car/bike linear potentiometer electrical characteristics are:
- nominal resistance: 1kΩ / 25 mm travel
- operating mode: voltage divider
The car/bike linear potentiometer mechanical characteristics are:
- temperature operating range: -50/+85 °C
- operating strength: 2,45 N horizontal
- measure range: up to 150 mm